The Common Admission Test (CAT) is a route to India’s most famous business colleges. Every year, lakhs of students prepare for this difficult exam in the hopes of gaining admission to their preferred business school. As the CAT 2023 approaches, candidates must have a good comprehension of the syllabus in order to plan their preparation efficiently. In this article, we’ll dive deep into the CAT 2023 syllabus, section by section, to help you navigate this journey with confidence.
CAT 2023 Syllabus Latest Updates
The syllabus for the CAT 2023 exam has not changed, according to the official CAT notice 2023 given by IIM Lucknow. Candidates planning to take the CAT 2023 exam should be familiar with the material and exam format. The CAT 2023 syllabus is divided into three sections: Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension (VARC), Logical Reasoning and Data Interpretation (LRDI), and Quantitative Aptitude (QA). In general, the CAT exam paper has roughly 20-25 questions from all areas.
CAT 2023: Subject-wise Topics
There is no specific CAT exam pattern, although the syllabus includes nearly every idea related to reading comprehension, logical thinking, data interpretation, and numeric aptitude. As a result, candidates must be familiar with the exam’s subject-specific content.
Aspirants can find subject-wise subtopics for all sections covered in the CAT test in the table below:
|Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension||Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning Syllabus||Quantitative Aptitude Syllabus|
|English Usage or Grammar||Tables||Number Systems|
|Vocabulary-Based (Synonyms/ Antonyms)||Caselets||Profit, Loss and Discount|
|Fill in the blanks||Bar Graphs||LCM and HCF|
|Sentence Correction||Line Charts||Speed, Time and Distance|
|Cloze Passage||Column Graphs||Percentages|
|Jumbled Paragraph||Venn Diagrams||Time and Work|
|Meaning-Usage Match||Pie Chart||Ratio and Proportion|
|Analogies or Reverse Analogies||Other Basic Reasoning Questions||Averages|
|Summary Questions||Calendars||Quadratic Equations & Linear Equations|
|Verbal Reasoning||Number and Letter Series||Complex Numbers|
|Facts-Inferences-Judgments||Clocks||Simple and Compound Interest|
|Reading Comprehension||Venn Diagrams||Logarithm|
|Cubes||Sequences and Series|
|Logical Matching||Surds and Indices|
|Logical Sequence||Set Theory & Function|
|Syllogism||Permutation and Combination|
|Logical Connectives||Mixtures and Allegations|
- Also Read:- CRACKING THE EXAM: UPSC EPFO ELIGIBILITY IN 2023
Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension (VARC)
|Topic Name||Expected No. of Questions|
|Reading Comprehension Passage-Based Questions||16|
|Others(Sentence Completion or Correction, Fill in the blanks, Vocabulary Based, etc.)||0-1|
- Read More About:- CAT 2023 Syllabus
CAT 2023 Syllabus: Subject-Wise Weightage
Understanding CAT section-wise weightage is one of the most crucial variables in planning your CAT preparation.
We used the previous year’s CAT question papers to perform a data interpretation to analyze the subject-wise weightage in the table below.
|Subject||Section-wise Question 2021||Section-wise Question 2022|
Quantitative Ability (QA)
- Arithmetic: Focus on percentages, profit and loss, time and work, and ratio and proportion.
- Algebra: Learn concepts of equations, inequalities, and quadratic equations.
- Geometry: Brush up on lines, angles, triangles, circles, and coordinate geometry.
- Number System: Understand properties of integers, factors, and remainders.
- Modern Mathematics: Probability, permutation and combination, and set theory.
- Trigonometry: Basics of trigonometric functions and identities.
- Mensuration: Explore 2D and 3D geometry, areas, and volumes.
Logical Reasoning & Data Interpretation(DILR)
The DILR is designed to assess candidates’ thinking abilities. This is the most difficult component of the total admission test. The LRDI assesses the candidates’ logical reasoning and calculation ability.
Candidates can discover the estimated number of questions for each DLIR topic in the table below.
|Data Case & Others||6-8|
IIM Seat Intake
|IIM Name||Seat intake||IIM Name||Seat Intake|
|IIM Ahmedabad||385||IIM Kashipur||210|
|IIM Calcutta||462||IIM Nagpur||60|
|IIM Bangalore||412||IIM Ranchi||155|
|IIM Udaipur||180||IIM Kozhikode||353|
|IIM Shillong||120||IIM Visakhapatnam||60|
|IIM Bodhgaya||60||IIM Raipur||210|
|IIM Sirmaur||60||IIM Rohtak||180|
|IIM Indore||550||IIM Amritsar||60|
|IIM Sambalpur||140||IIM Trichy||180|
|IIM Lucknow||436||IIM Jammu||45|
- Understand the Syllabus: The first stage is to have a thorough comprehension of the syllabus. Make a study schedule that gives enough time for each section.
- Practice Regularly: It is critical to practice consistently. To strengthen your time management skills, solve past years’ CAT papers and take mock tests.
- Focus on Basics: Before attempting complicated tasks, work on your fundamentals.
- Time Management: Because the CAT is a timed exam, practice answering questions within the time limit.
- Stay Updated: Keep an eye out for CAT 2023 updates, exam pattern changes, and question trends.
Remember that constant effort and good planning are your allies as you begin your CAT 2023 preparation path. The first step toward success is to thoroughly understand the CAT syllabus. If you arm yourself with information, determination, and a good mindset, you’ll be well-prepared to face the difficulties of CAT 2023. Best wishes!